The Wisconsin public school open enrollment program allows parents to apply for their student to attend public school in a school district other than the one in which they reside.
If you reside in the Madison Metropolitan School District (MMSD) and wish to attend another MMSD school, you will need to apply for an internal transfer. More information on our Internal Transfer Requests can be found here.
Open Enrollment 2019-20
The 2019-20 school year open enrollment application period is now closed. Parents may apply for an Alternative Open Enrollment application starting July 1, 2019 through June 1, 2020. More information can be found at https://dpi.wi.gov/open-enrollment/applications/alternative.
- English Application 2019 - 2020 (PDF)
- Spanish Application 2019 - 2020 (DOC)
- Hmong Application 2019 - 2020 (DOC)
Open Enrollment 2020-21
You may apply for open enrollment online at https://dpi.wi.gov/oe. The online application will be available from midnight February 3, 2020, until 4:00 pm May 29, 2020. Online application is recommended, if possible. If you are not able to apply online, you may apply with a paper form, as follows. However, you should not submit both online and paper applications. Fill out a separate application form for each student.
- English Application 2020 - 2021(DOC)
- Spanish Application 2020 - 2021(DOC)
- Hmong Application 2020 - 2021(DOC)
Informational brochure 2020-21
Open Enrollment Policy
- Policy 4025 Open Enrollment Full Time (PDF – English)
- Policy 4025 Open Enrollment Full Time (PDF – Spanish)
- Policy 4027 Open Enrollment Part Time (PDF - English)
- Policy 4027 Open Enrollment Part Time (PDF - Spanish)
If a student moves from one Wisconsin district to another during a particular school year, that student is able to complete the school year in the former school district. A Tuition Waiver Form should be submitted. If the student wishes to continue in the former school district the following year, then the student must apply for open enrollment during the regular open enrollment period. More information about tuition waivers can be found at: dpi.wi.gov/open-enrollment/funding/tuition-waivers.
Tuition Waiver 2019-2020