The internal transfer process provides an opportunity for students to attend an MMSD school that is outside of their regular MMSD attendance area. Transportation is not provided to students attending under an internal transfer.
Internal Transfer Policy Revised:
The Internal Transfer policy was revised on April 29, 2019 to allow a student moving over the summer (after the last day of school (June 10, 2021) and before the first day of school (September 1, 2021), to remain enrolled at their current school or feeder school without formally applying for an internal transfer for the upcoming school year. Students that move over the summer will be responsible for providing their own transportation and will need to apply for an internal transfer for the 2022-23 school year.
Apply online starting May 3, 2021. Application closes at 4pm on May 21, 2021.
- Applicants will know if their request has been approved or placed on a wait list on or before July 1.
- Students on the wait list will know if their application has been approved or denied on August 26, 2021.
- Requests on the wait list are processed before second round requests.
Second round application opens May 21, 2021 at 4pm., application closes at 6pm on August 19, 2021.
- Applicants will know if their request has been approved or denied on August 26, 2021.
Schools at Capacity
Schools at capacity for the 2021-22 school year will be posted on April 30, 2021.
Because they are at capacity, the following schools are not accepting applications for new internal transfers during 2021-22:
- Lowell Elementary
- all middle schools are accepting transfer requests
Elementary to Middle School, Middle to High School
Like most districts, MMSD’s schools are set up in what are called feeder patterns. These patterns group certain elementary schools together and students from those schools go to the same middle school. The same is true for grouping middle schools together for going on to high school. When a student progresses from 5th to 6th grade, they have to reapply if they want to follow along with their school's feeder pattern, unless they already live in that middle school's attendance boundary. The same is true for students moving from middle to high school (8th to 9th grade). Please note this only applies to students under the new transfer policy, 2015-2016 or later. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the enrollment office at (608) 663-4957 if you have any questions regarding an existing or future internal transfer.
- Transportation is not provided to students attending under an internal transfer.
- You can review the revised Board Policy 4023 – Internal Transfers by clicking here
- If you would like to see how the district decides on internal transfer request, the criteria we use to approve or deny is available here.
If your child has an approved internal transfer for the 2014-15 school year, nothing has changed for your child and their transfer. They continue to follow the rules outlined in the previous version of Board Policy 4023 – Internal Transfers. For a copy of the policy that applies to internal transfers approved for 2014-15 and before, click HERE.