The internal transfer process provides an opportunity for students to attend an MMSD school that is outside of their regular MMSD attendance area. Transportation is not provided to students attending under an internal transfer.
Apply online starting May 7, 2018. Application closes at 4pm on May 25, 2018.
- Applicants will know if their request has been approved or placed on a wait list on or before July 1.
- Students on the wait list will know if their application has been approved or denied on August 31, 2018.
- Requests on the wait list are processed before second round requests.
Second round application opens May 25, 2018 at 4pm. Application closes on August 17, 2018 at 6pm.
- Applicants will know if their request has been approved or denied on August 30, 2018.
Schools at Capacity
Because they are at capacity, the following schools are not accepting applications for new internal transfers during 2017-2018:
- Chavez Elementary
- Elvehjem Elementary
- Randall Elementary
- Schenk Elementary
- Van Hise Elementary
- Jefferson Middle
Elementary to Middle School, Middle to High School
Like most districts, MMSD’s schools are set up in what are called feeder patterns. These patterns group certain elementary schools together and students from those schools go to the same middle school. The same is true for grouping middle schools together for going on to high school. When a student progresses from 5th to 6th grade, they have to reapply if they want to follow along with their school's feeder pattern, unless they already live in that middle school's attendance boundary. The same is true for students moving from middle to high school (8th to 9th grade). Please note this only applies to students under the new transfer policy, 2015-2016 or later. Please email or call the enrollment office at (608) 663-4957 if you have any questions regarding an existing or future internal transfer.
- Transportation is not provided to students attending under an internal transfer.
- You can review the revised Board Policy 4023 – Internal Transfers by clicking here
- If you would like to see how the district decides on internal transfer request, the criteria we use to approve or deny is available here.
If your child has an approved internal transfer for the 2014-15 school year, nothing has changed for your child and their transfer. They continue to follow the rules outlined in the previous version of Board Policy 4023 – Internal Transfers. For a copy of the policy that applies to internal transfers approved for 2014-15 and before, click HERE.