Back to frequently asked questions

  1. How do I enroll if I do not have a permanent address?
    It is likely that you will use the address where you spent the night before the registration date to determine your school attendance area. However, if you are experiencing housing instability, it is best to contact the MMSD Transition Education Program (TEP) at (608) 204-2272 to discuss this further. TEP staff can provide assistance with enrollment and other supports such as transportation to and from school if eligible. Once enrolled in a school, the school social worker can also serve as a resource.  
  2. I am taking care of my niece and her parent(s) reside outside of the MMSD attendance area.  How do I enroll her in school?
    You will be asked to fill out an educational guardianship form that indicates you are accepting responsibility for the student only if the student’s parents live outside of Madison.  
  3. I am taking care of my nephew and his parent(s) reside in the MMSD attendance area.  How do I enroll him in school?
    If the parents live in Madison, they will need to complete rights to records form at the school and/or district in order to transition guardianship to the new guardians. The parents address will be used for enrollment purposes. 
  4. I moved, can my student still attend the school they attended last year?
    Case1: If you moved before 9/1/2015, your 1st-12th grade can continue at the school they attended last year or naturally progress to the next level with their peers.  You would need to bring in proof of residency for the new address.  You should change the address in the online enrollment system when doing the August enrollment.  Because 4K is not offered at every school in the district students are not automatically allowed to stay.  They would have to fill out an internal transfer and that would only be approved if space is available.
    Case 2: If you have moved after 9/1/2015, your child will be able to remain at their current school for the remainder of the year. To continue there for future years, you'll have to apply for internal transfer. 
  5. I am currently living with someone and cannot provide proof of residency.  
    If you live with someone else, both you and the co-resident will need to complete the co-residency form. For more information about the co-residency form and process, click HERE